Program Eligibility & Rules
We are proud to announce the HBCU LA Internship Program application is now OPEN! The application will be open from September 24, 2018 thru January 6, 2019.
This highly competitive program will be open to both undergraduate and graduate students with an interest to pursue a career in the entertainment, media and communication industry. Students will be required to commit to an 8-week paid internship in the Los Angeles area.
- Applicants must be enrolled full-time at an HBCU or Predominately Minority Institution (PMI).
- College Students transferring from a community college to a four-year HBCU or PMI may also apply.
- Students who have completed college or graduate school prior to December 31, 2018 will NOT be eligible.
- Students who are graduating between January 1, 2019 and June 30, 2019 will be eligible to apply.
- Non-US citizens must provide an INS work authorization permit or CPT letter within 10 days after notification of being selected to participate in the internship program to qualify as an intern. In order to be paid, you must have a U.S. Social Security number prior to the start of your internship.
- All internships are paid and full-time during the 8-10 week summer program.
- Internship start dates will take place between late to mid June. Host companies will determine the exact start date once the student intern has been identified and selected. Regardless of when the internship begins it will end 8-10 weeks after the determined start date.
- Students will be paid a minimum of $12.50 per hour for a 32 to 40 hour work week by the host company.
- All students selected may be subject to a background check prior to final internship placement by host Company.
- Scholarships will be available to cover travel and housing expenses for students with a demonstrated need.
Application Deadline: January 6, 2019 / 11:59pm PST
What we are looking for during the selection process:
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to articulate ideas
- Analytical ability
- Engaged team players
- Ability to work independently with little supervision
- Strong critical thinking skills and good judgment
- Ability to take initiative and follow directions
- Results oriented
- Ability to learn new concepts
- Out of the box creative thinkers
- Highly motivated
- Persuasive and candid
Program opportunities for Interns:
- Participation in an Entertainment Industry HBCU Immersion experience in Los Angeles, Summer 2018
- Participate in a 8-10 week internship with major studios, networks, agencies and other industry organizations
- Be awarded a need-based scholarship to help defray travel and housing costs
- Participate in various professional development programs to equip participants for employment upon graduation
- Receive Career guidance and coaching from industry professionals
- Studio Tours and field trips
- Networking and mentoring
- Hosted screenings & panel discussions
EICOP’s HBCU in LA Internship Program is designed to complement and enhance students’ educational experience by opening Hollywood’s doors for an invaluable internship experience to develop students both personally and professionally in order to leverage opportunities that can lead to employment post-graduation.